Sunday, September 7, 2014

Festival of the Vine - Geneva, IL

Last night, I went to the Festival of the Vine in Geneva, IL. I never thought I could live in a small town, but I could definitely make do in Geneva. It's a gorgeous little town on the Fox River with friendly people, a walkable town center, and lots of adorable shops and restaurants.

$1 tastings outside of Fiora's.
After living in Chicago for 7 years, I'm used to being able to do pretty much whatever I want, whenever I want, so it was definitely a "welcome to the suburbs" moment when we got there at 6:30 and things were already closed up for the day. We were not to be stopped, however, because there were still tons of things to do. A particular highlight was Fiora's where they had $1 tastings of lots of different wines, but you could also pay a bit more to have your cup filled up with one wine. My personal favorite was the Dornfelder, a German red. It was light and sweet, but not overpoweringly so.

We made our way down to the food tent where most items cost between 3 and 5 tickets ($1/ticket - God bless the suburbs). I had some great guacamole from Bien Trucha, a seasonal vegetable flatbread from Moveable Feast, and some popcorn from Kernel's Gourmet Popcorn. Ringing endorsements all around.

I can't wait to go back next year! Next time, I'll make sure to get there a bit earlier.

No comments: